To celebrate our Cinco de Mayo flash sale — get $5 off resident and nonresident general fishing licenses May 3-7, online sales only — here’s a recipe from Seis Kitchen and Catering, which specializes in regional Mexican cuisine.
Seis Kitchen and Catering prepared this incredible, tangy catfish dish during our recent “Hook to Plate” fishing clinic at Silverbell Lake in Tucson.
Enjoy, and celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a fishing fiesta!
Spice-rubbed catfish topped with pickled jalapeño relish
- 2 cups corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- .5 tsp ground oregano
- .5 tsp black pepper
- .5 tsp cumin
- .5 tsp chile powder
Mix ingredients in dry bowl
- 1 cup milk
Place milk into a large bowl alone
- 2 pounds fish
Pat dry fish
- Dip fish into milk, coating entire fillet
- Remove fish from milk allowing excess milk to drain off
- Dredge fish in the corn meal mixture until completely coated
- Fill a medium sauce pan with canola oil about a 1/4 in high.
- Heat on a medium heat
- When oil is hot place the fillets in the oil cooking for 3 minutes on each side or until you get a nice firm crust. The thicker the fish the longer you will cook it. This recipe was done with fish that was about 3/4 to an inch thick.
- When fish is done, place on a towel to allow oil to drain off.