The Coconino National Forest has dropped to Stage I fire restrictions. Time to camp at Ashurst Lake (one of the spots where we’ve stocked some of the quarter-million more fish) or Forked Pine Campgrounds, and grill up some fresh trout like these:
This week, some other hot spots that have received trout are:
- Dogtown Lake, Kaibab Lake, Lower Lake Mary and Kinnikinick Lake in the Flagstaff/Williams area. With the warmer weather, the fishing is starting to slow down but is still good early in the morning and late in the evening on Ashurst, Kaibab and Dogtown. Folks are catching big trout on Lower Lake Mary early in the morning and late in the evening out of boats and float tubes;
- Goldwater Lake and scenic Oak Creek in the Prescott/Sedona region;
- White Mountains/Mogollon Rim region: Silver Creek, West Fork of the Little Colorado River in Greer, Silver Creek, Fool Hollow Lake, Show Low Lake, Woods Canyon Lake, Willow Springs Lake and all the family-friendly creeks below the Mogollon Rim.
Striped bass story
Striped bass fishing is excellent at Lake Powell. Some of the best top-water boils have been at Lake Mead, and striper fishing is also good at Willow Beach on the Colorado River and Lake Mohave. The top-water striper bite at Lake Pleasant has been slow. Look for striper fishing to pick up through the summer and fall.
Bass battle at the Alamo
At Alamo Lake, things are getting back to normal with bass fishing. There’s a decent top-water bite going from 4:30 a.m. until around 6 a.m. Then switch to crankbaits or plastics.
By the way, Bartlett Lake has had the most consistent bass fishing in the Phoenix area. See the full report for details.
A Big deal
At Big Lake, anglers are catching some big rainbow trout to 4 pounds primarily on PowerBait. Fish are moving deeper but anglers still can reach them from shore. It’s quality over quantity right now at Big Lake.
Gateway to AZ adventure
Save time and buy online. Grab your gear and that fishing license, 24/7, and get ready for a pine-scented (or maybe bass-busting) weekend!
Catch of the Week
Send your fishing reports and photos to BFishing@AZGFD.gov — one will be selected as Catch of the Week.
Craig A. caught some big rainbow trout Wednesday morning under clear skies trolling blue cowbells deep. Another successful technique was dropping nightcrawlers right off the bottom.
Notable wildfire openings/closures
- Access to Black Canyon Lake has been reopened (Gentry Fire).
- Access to Riggs Flat Lake, Frye Mesa Reservoir and Ash Creek is closed due to the Frye Fire.
- The popular Lynx Lake North Shore and South Shore Day Use Sites have re-opened (Goodwin Fire). The bald eagle closure at Lynx has been lifted.
Friday, July 7 — East Verde River, East Fork Black River, Show Low Lake, Woods Canyon Lake, Willow Springs Lake.
Thursday, July 6 — Tonto Creek, Christopher Creek, Haigler Creek.
Monday, July 3 — West Fork Little Colorado River-Greer, Silver Creek, Canyon Creek, Cataract Lake, Goldwater Lake, Oak Creek.