So you’re looking to go fishing and impress that special somebody on Valentine’s Day. (Yes … it’s Tuesday — also our state’s birthday.)
As long as you have a bit of fishing know-how, we’ve got you covered on the cooking side. In a big way.
Catch some this weekend, turn it into something tasty by Tuesday. Make sure you cook this with your partner — you fold the fish in heart-shaped paper.
Here’s a video from our very own “Fish Lady” about Valentine’s Day trout:
- 2 trout fillets
- ½ cup carrots, julienned
- ½ cup green beans, trimmed
- 6 pats of butter
- 4 lemon slices
- 8 sprigs thyme
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large sheets of parchment paper
- Fold one of the parchment paper sheets in half lengthwise. Draw a half-heart shape as large as possible. Cut out heart shape. On one side of the heart shape place half of the carrots, half the green beans, three pats of butter, one trout fillet, two lemon slices, half the thyme and parsley, one tbsp olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold over the parchment paper to close it. Starting at the top of the heart, make small folds by picking up the edge of the paper and folding it over on to the top about ¼ – ½ an inch. Then sliding your hands down the paper, continue picking up the edge and folding it over. When you get to the bottom of the heart, tuck the tail piece under the package.
- Repeat with the rest of the ingredients to make two complete packets.
- Place packets on a baking sheet and bake at 375 F for 16-18 minutes or until fish is flaky.
- Serve in the paper to keep the food hot. Also makes for a nice surprise — plus the aroma is amazing when the packet is first opened.