Night fishing is a prime option statewide – not only is it cooler, a new moon will make fishing with submersible lights more effective. Lake Pleasant is one of the best options for nighttime striper fishing under lights.
Here are some other July 4 weekend fishing suggestions:
- Fish Crescent Lake and/or Big Lake before heading to the scheduled fireworks show at Sunrise Park Resort. Cuttroat trout are hitting at Big Lake, and fishing is fair at Crescent. The fireworks show at the nearby resort is scheduled to begin at around 8 p.m.
- Wet a hook at Show Low lake and/or creek, then attend the city of Show Low’s fireworks show at approximately 9 p.m. See more information.
- Greer lakes. Greer is being stocked this week.
- West Fork of the Little Colorado River-Greer was stocked on Monday.
- City Reservoir in Williams. Fishing has been good on green garlic PowerBait and corn PowerBait.
- Dogtown Reservoir near Williams. The lake continues to produce good fishing on garlic PowerBait. Folks are also catching bigger trout at Dogtown fishing off of boats using woolly buggers and spinners fished slow and deep.
- Ashurst Lake. Anglers last weekend had good luck on garlic and corn PowerBait early in the morning and late in the evening. They were still catching some holdover trout. A campground host also said meal worms were working under a bobber.
- Goldwater Lake in Prescott. We stocked rainbow trout, and some monster Gila trout are still being caught — plus there are trees around there to get out of the sun.
Tagged walleye contest begins July 1 at Lake Powell
The Utah DNR, Wayneswords.com, and several generous corporate sponsors have teamed up to present the first official Lake Powell Tagged Walleye Contest, July 1-June 20, 2017. Read more.
Anglers hooked on Arizona Trout Challenge
Don’t forget to take our Arizona Trout Challenge. Perfect way to invite a buddy to get outdoors. Any angler completing the Challenge will receive a certificate featuring the species caught along with dates and locations. See more information.
Big Fish of the Year
On June 21, Ronald Nuss bow-fished for this new catch-and-keep BFOY leader, a black buffalo, weighing 36 pounds, 2.88 ounces, and measuring 39 inches, from Apache Lake. See all the BFOY leaders.
Monday, June 27 — Silver Creek, West Fork Little Colorado River-Greer, Bear Creek, Canyon Creek, Show Low Lake.
Friday, June 24 – Willow Springs Lake, Silver Creek, East Fork Black River.
Thursday, June 23 – Tonto Creek, Cristopher Creek, Haigler Creek, Show Low Lake, Knoll Lake,
Wednesday, June 22 – Fool Hollow Lake.
Thursday, June 21 – Woods Canyon Lake.
Catch of the week
Here’s what’s new with your fellow adventurers!
Use #ADVENTURERENEWED for your chance to get featured on the Catch of the Week.
AZGFD investigating ongoing fish kill on Verde River
The Arizona Game and Fish Department is investigating an ongoing fish kill on the Verde River below Horseshoe Dam.
On Thursday, the Department will be collecting water quality samples and analyzing fish for bacteria, viruses and parasites.
The fish kill is in an area from the dam to approximately 100 meters downstream.
In the meantime, it is important for anglers to remember they should not be taking these dead or dying fish.
(Send reports and pictures to BFishing@AZGFD.gov)
Mike G.: Most people fish Kinnikinick for trout. And I never do well for trout. However, it is my favorite catfish lake. During the summer months, especially when monsoon is going on. It’s great for cats. The pic I sent shows a 16 pounder, and a couple 4 pounders.
During my trip i caught 11 cats total … the 16 pounder was my best, but I have caught two 13 pounders and two 10-pounders before. I ONLY USE MACKEREL. The pic I sent shows the catfish hanging from the front of my quad, to show some size perspective….
Have a good day.
My 13-year-old son Jonathan caught this channel catfish, fishing for bass in the shallows on a nightcrawler.